Litigation Specialist ISt. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
This is an entry level full-time position of assisting attorneys during the litigation process by developing concise coordination of legal documents–such as pre-claim investigations, pleadings, interrogatories, and depositions which lawyers may require for closings, hearings, trials and meetings. An incumbent is required to work closely with attorneys to file court documents and organize briefs, exhibits and appendices. He/she produces litigation support documents, order transcripts from reporting services and complete documentation requests from outside counsel.
DUTIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Conduct document searches and research to support a case, prepare testimony materials and attend depositions.
- Drafts reports and memoranda for counsel regarding status of discovery and record collection.
- Conducts basic research and independently Locating and gathering internal documents.
- Researches and processes all legal projects.
- Maintains a comprehensive elecLronic file in addition to a chronologically indexed tiles system.
- Performs other related duties as required.
FACTOR 1- KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of local and federal laws, legal terms and codes that govern the US Virgin Islands.
- Knowledge of litigation documents and the procedures in local and federal courts.
- Knowledge of interviewing and fact-finding techniques.
- Working knowledge of the rules of civil procedure, judicial council forms and other related procedures in the filing process.
- Skill in maintaining a keen eye for detail.
Pg. 2-Litigation Specialist I
- Ability to efficiently operate desk-top and/or lap-top computers and various computer programs with in depth IT knowledge.
- Ability to effectively interact with opposing counsels and clients.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing with the use of legal terminology utilizing investigation techniques.
FACTOR 2- SUPERVISORY CONTROL
Litigation specialists perform many of the same tasks as attorneys but, they can only perform this work under the supervision of an attorney. An incumbent work in tandem with Assistant Attorney Generals and participate during all phases of the litigation process, from the commencement of proceedings to the discovery period, through trial, post-trial, settlement and appeals.
FACTOR 3- GUIDELINES
Guidelines include manuals on legal procedures as outlined for the USVI; the Virgin Islands Code; Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the Agency.
FACTOR 4— COMPLEXITy
This position requires an incumbent to engage in in-depth research and coordination of legal documents to produce pre-claim investigations, pleadings, interrogatories and depositions. An incumbent must maintain a filing system of alL transcripts and supporting documents that were established throughout the litigation process.
FACTORS- SCOPE AND EFFECT
The purpose of this position is to assist attorneys during the litigation process to develop coordination of legal documents necessary for pre-claim, investigations, pleadings. interrogatories, and depositions.
FACTOR 6- PERSONAL CONTACTS
Contacts are outside counsel and/or clients!customers
Pg. 3-Litigation Specialist I
FACTOR 7- PURPOSE OF CONTACTS
The purpose of the contacts is to gather information, conduct investigations and secure required documents for the litigation process.
FACTOR 8- PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is basically sedentary with occasional walking, standing, bending and transferring items under twenty-five (25) pounds such as papers and files.
FACTOR 9- WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work is performed in an office setting; however, some travel may be required.
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in Paralegal Studies or a closely related field and two (2) years’ experience in a law office or an in-house legal department.
An Associate Degree in Paralegal studies and four (4) years’ experience in a law office or an in-house legal department.
A high school diploma or its equivalent and six (6) years’ experience in a law office or an in-house legal department.
Necessary Special Oualification: Possession of a Valid Driver’s License to operate a motor vehicle in the US Virgin Islands.